Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Loch Ness Marathon 2012

      This is a tough one to write about.  In one sense, it was a smashing success.  I ran 2:55:50, finished 25th overall, first in my age group, and even won a £100 gift certificate to a local running store, along with a beautiful quaich.  I did a heck of a lot better than the last time I ran the race, in 2008, when I was forced to drop out at about mile 10 with atrial fibrillation.

First Place 50 and Over
Quaich (Scottish Whiskey Cup)
       On the other hand, this was the toughest and least pleasant race I can remember running.  None of that had to do with the course or the weather; it was entirely my fault.  I simply was not mentally nor physically ready.  I came through the first half of the race in about 1:24:00, and faded badly after that.  From mile 20 or so on, I had a bad cramp in my left calf.  I walked through the last three aid stations.

The Finish Line

    But most importantly, I had the support of my friends on a tough day.  And, I got to see Scotland again, the most beautiful country in the entire world. I can't wait to go back.


Whitebridge, near Loch Ness
Me and Stan Carmack in the distance


Point of Sleat on the Isle of Skye
Scotland is the most beautiful place on Earth
 

No comments:

Post a Comment